Prior to 1951, “colored” students in rural Morehouse
Parish attended church schools at various black churches. During the fall of
1951 several of these schools merged into what became known as the Johnson
The students were transported by bus, from the Cherry
Hill #1, Cherry Hill #2 and Little Dee School, also the community
children from the "Bend".
Despite the challenges in their path such as the split school
session due to the agricultural planting and harvesting season, as well as limited
resources due to segregation, every obstacle
taught life lessons, which improved the overall quality of life of
After integration, the school was closed in 1969.
The parcel of Johnson Elementary
School is currently owned by three former students Clem Payne Jr.,
Cleophus Payne and Edgar Narvin Payne.